Monday, April 25, 2005

To Harpeth and back

  • I drove up to Brentwood, TN this weekend to talk more specifically about my call to Harpeth Presbyterian Church. It was a great weekend. I had fun hanging out with folks from the church on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday morning, some of the younger youth of the church did a musical about Shadrach, Meshach, and Obednigo. Something like, "The Cool Furnace." It was great. Highly enjoyable.
  • On the way up to TN, I was struck by how many of those darned ribbon magnets I saw on people's cars. Some cars had three magnets telling me to, "Support Our Troops." I mean, do you really need three, one yellow, one stars and stripes, and one camoflauge. I finally saw one that was more of an indicative statement rather than an imperative. It actually said, "I Support Our Troops." At least that person wasn't telling me what to do. I have to say that I think the magnets are getting ridiculous. I was chatting with my roommate Davis about this the other day. He raised the question, "Are you really supporting the troops in a helpful way by buying a maget, slapping it on your car, and letting it fade in the sunshine?" He had heard a soldier say that he didn't see it as that supportive. We began to talk about whether it might be more supportive to write letters to a lonely soldier, or send care packages to one's local batallion. Some of us feel like we're supporting our troops by calling for their early return from harm's way. I'd be interested in any thoughts about magnets and their relationship to supporting our troops.
  • Speaking of comments...While I love it that people are actually reading this thing and making comments, I would love it even more if you would sign your name at the end of comments. No need to join blogger, although that would be fun too. Just sign a name at the end of the comment would help me gain a bit of insight into the wonderful people who are reading.
  • This past week at school I felt like every day was full of blog material. I think I've already commented on how disappointed I was with the seminary community for failing to show up for Colloquium, mostly because people didn't like the topic, or assumed that the speakers would be too, "Evangelical," or, "Conservative." Awesome...just ignore those who think differently that you do. Anyway, that bummed me out.
  • We were reading Karl Barth in Christology class last week. Sometimes I really love Barth, and then sometimes I just want to strangle him and say, "Get someone to edit your stuff!!!" I love it that he calls us to believe that Jesus Christ is really God With Us...as in, God was really in Christ, reconciling the world to God's self...that God suffered...that God shows God's hand by being truly present in Jesus Christ. My colleague Shelli Latham is write that we don't hear that enough, but does Barth have to say it on every page. Maybe we could space it out amongst other theologians so he doesn't have to say it all the time.
  • OK, so much rambling. Three more weeks until graduation. That's crazy. Prayers for me and my seminary colleagues would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

mark said...

i hear you sarah..fair thoughts for sure..im sure you're right about many..however, over the past four years, during which colloquim has always fallen during the same week, there was much better turn out..

but i do hear you about the week being busy..perhaps the bigger problem is the school isnt really consistent on whether or not to encourage students to go..some parts of the school say go but then faculty dont cancel classes..makes for difficult decisions and mixed messages..hopefully, something that will change before you graduate..

for example, next year's in honor of guthrie..sure a lot of students will want to go to that..

peace

m a r k

(signing my name with spaces in between makes me both cool and postmodern..)

Alan Bancroft said...

Sarah, I understand that it was a busy week, but Mark's right that in previous years, people have shown up in the midst of busy-ness. Besides students not showing up, I was pretty disappointed in the faculty, who, except for a couple of exceptions (Erskine Clarke), didn't show up for anything. That just hasn't been the case in previous years. It may not have been the topic, but it does seem a bit fishy...you know, something rotten in the state of Denmark.