Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Church sign

"Christ desires fellowship with us. That's what the cross is all about."

These words are on a church sign that I drive by everyday. Each time I see it, I think, "Um, that's not really it." I really thought the incarnation was all about Christ desiring fellowship with humankind. If they substituted "reconciliation" for "fellowship," I could get down with it, but as it is, I just don't think it captures the heart of things. Any thoughts on this? Am I ridiculous to be bothered by this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're totally right, Alan. That's why my church's sign reads:

"Jesus wants to HANG OUT with you...that's what the cross is all about!"

mrsbethb said...

I agree with you Alan. Can you imagine what the people in the meeting of slogans brainstormed...
If we use "fellowship," it sounds happy and carefree. If we use "reconciliation," people may have to actually think about their sins and who wants that happy notion while driving? Some people are so worried about offending groups of people that we squash opportunities to think deep and beyond our own little world.

mark said...

that's what xxxxx is all about.

that formula just doesnt fly.

Unless it reads:

Being a South Carolina football fan; that's what heartbreak is all about.

mark